Definition of predetermine in English:
1Establish or decide in advance: closed questions almost predetermine the response given (as adjective predetermined) a predetermined level of spending
More example sentences
- Thus, of ever growing importance in the military sphere for the developed democratic countries is the civilizing factor, which predetermines the level of acceptable casualties in solving foreign policy problems by military means.
- The government allocated transferable rights to emit predetermined levels of emissions.
- They often use a rheostat, which is similar to a humidistat, so that not only can you predetermine the level of humidity you want, but also allow the machine to adjust intelligently to overall humidity.
1.1Predestine (an outcome or course of events): a strong sense that life had been predetermined
More example sentences
- The factor of surprise has become more important - it predetermines the course and the outcome of initial operations and the entire campaign, therefore troops should be better prepared and their combat readiness should be improved.
- It cannot be based on any assumptions about human nature, and it cannot be expected to lead to predetermined outcomes.
- The outcome is not predetermined but reflects a political contest over the exercise of power and meanings.
- Example sentences
- In ‘The Thin Red Line’ nature's beauty and innocence is contrasted with the horror of war, and Bjork's character in ‘Dancer in the Dark’ challenges and defeats the predetermination that a genetic defect will cause her son to go blind.
- Ultimately, it's the tension maintained throughout between predetermination and improvisation that gives the recording a feeling of spontaneity and unpredictability that makes for engaging if exhausting listening.
- Freedom of the Will, an attempt to reconcile free human agency with God's foreknowledge and predetermination, long remained a central philosophical text.
Early 17th century: from late Latin praedeterminare, from prae 'beforehand' + determinare 'limit, settle'.
Definition of predetermine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.