noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A synthetic drug similar to cortisone, used to relieve rheumatic and allergic conditions and to treat leukaemia.More example sentences
- One major reason for that is that arthritis is commonly treated with steroid drugs like prednisone.
- Severe pain responds to the powerful corticosteroid drug prednisone, often within 24 to 48 hours.
- We decided to treat this patient with oral prednisone and strongly suggested that the pet bird be removed, and it was.
1950s: perhaps from pre(gnane) (a synthetic hydrocarbon) + d(ie)n(e) + (cort)isone.
More definitions of prednisoneDefinition of prednisone in:
- The US English dictionary