Definition of prickly ash in English:
1A spiny North American shrub or tree with prickly branches and bark that can be used medicinally.
- Genus Zanthoxylum, family Rutaceae: the northern Z. americanum and the southern Z. clava-herculis (also called Hercules' club)
- The tropical prickly ash has a temperate equivalent called the toothache tree.
- Tropical plants here include two species of wild coffee, pigeon berry or rouge-plant, prickly ash, marlberry, and colicwood.
- Aggressive planting of hawthorn, pyracantha, creeping juniper, holly, Chinese jujube, roses, blackthorn or prickly ash will help deter criminals.
1.1 [mass noun] A medicinal preparation made from the bark of the prickly ash.
- Other general herbs to help support digestion and circulation are prickly ash which supports peripheral circulation, particularly a foggy brain, and rosemary similarly.
- The historic use of prickly ash includes it as a medicine for intermittent claudication, Raynaud's disease, peripheral vascular insufficiency and muscle cramps.
- Northern prickly ash, Zanthoxylum americanum, is a traditional phytomedicine used by North American First Nations Peoples as a topical agent for the treatment of skin infections including those caused by pathogenic fungi.
Definition of prickly ash in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan