- 1A spiny North American shrub or tree with prickly branches and bark that can be used medicinally.
More example sentences
- Genus Zanthoxylum, family Rutaceae: the northern Z. americanum and the southern Z. clava-herculis (also called Hercules' club)
- The tropical prickly ash has a temperate equivalent called the toothache tree.
- Tropical plants here include two species of wild coffee, pigeon berry or rouge-plant, prickly ash, marlberry, and colicwood.
- Aggressive planting of hawthorn, pyracantha, creeping juniper, holly, Chinese jujube, roses, blackthorn or prickly ash will help deter criminals.
- 1.1 [mass noun] A medicinal preparation made from the bark of the prickly ash.More example sentences
- Other general herbs to help support digestion and circulation are prickly ash which supports peripheral circulation, particularly a foggy brain, and rosemary similarly.
- The historic use of prickly ash includes it as a medicine for intermittent claudication, Raynaud's disease, peripheral vascular insufficiency and muscle cramps.
- Northern prickly ash, Zanthoxylum americanum, is a traditional phytomedicine used by North American First Nations Peoples as a topical agent for the treatment of skin infections including those caused by pathogenic fungi.
More definitions of prickly ashDefinition of prickly ash in:
- The US English dictionary