- 1The daughter of a monarch.More example sentences
- Her name is R'jas un Z'kovn Sy'yski and she is the Muse princess, daughter of Prince Noyus and next in line for the throne.
- Deputy President Jacob Zuma is engaged to a Swaziland princess, the daughter of Prince Phiwokwakhe Dlamini, his office announced on Saturday.
- The second row was occupied by the sultan's unmarried daughters, the princesses Nurmalitasari, Nurkamnari Dewi, Nurabra Juwita and Nurastuti Wijareni.
- 1.1A close female relative of a monarch, especially a granddaughter.More example sentences
- They took Chinese princesses as wives and charged exorbitant prices in silk, grain and tea for their horses (a trade the Chinese tried to disguise as ‘tribute’).
- Sayaji Rao began constructing the Laxmi Vilas Palace in 1878 naming it after his first wife, a princess of Tanjore.
- 1.2The wife or widow of a prince.More example sentences
- His second wife was an Armenian princess, married while Baldwin was at Edessa.
- Beside him is his wife, the Georgian princess Nino Chavchavadze.
- The Japanese princess was an aunt of Emperor Akihito and the widow of Prince Takamatsu, a younger brother of the late Emperor Hirohito.
- 1.3The female monarch of a small state, actually, nominally, or originally subject to a king or emperor.More example sentences
- The government wants a successful trip by the crown prince and princess to pave the way for a visit by Emperor Akihito, the daily said.
- She could, however, humiliate the princess before her subjects.
- When a Swazi princess weds a Zulu king, she wears red touraco wing feathers around her forehead and a cape of windowbird feathers and oxtails.
- 1.4 (princess of/among) A woman or thing regarded as pre-eminent in a particular sphere or group: the princess of American politicsMore example sentences
- Her number one single of last summer, Spinning Around, was, after all, co-written by Paula Abdul - another former pop princess of the 1980s.
- Across the kingdom the princes and princesses of pantomime are taking their bows and cracking one-liners in Christmas productions packed with Yuletide yarns and knockabout comic capers.
- But the princess royal of country music has always looked beyond her homeland too.
- 1.5A spoilt or arrogant young woman: support your husband and stop being such a princessMore example sentences
- You're nothing but a spoiled little princess.
- She really didn't know much about real life, she was like a spoiled princess.
princess of the blood
- A woman who is a princess by right of her royal descent.More example sentences
- Henri IV was a direct descendant of the Capetian kings, married a Valois princess of the blood, and founded the Bourbon dynasty.
- Besides, it often happened that a prince or a princess of the blood was having a Mass spoken in a secondary altar of the Chapelle Royale during the king's Mass.
- His eye fell on Fawzia, a princess of the blood and the favorite sister of a King.
late Middle English: from Old French princesse, from prince (see prince).
More definitions of princessDefinition of princess in:
- The US English dictionary