1The work of a professional practitioner such as a doctor or lawyer who is self-employed.
- Some lawyers who have left private practice point to the billable hour as a central motivation for their departure.
- Of course the choice for any lawyer isn't just a straight one between private practice and legal aid.
- In addition, professionals in private practice often report feeling isolated from colleagues.
1.1British Medical practice that is not part of the National Health Service.
- An investigation by the Audit Commission has supported several concerns expressed by a consultant surgeon about private practice at a hospital in south Wales.
- Increasingly, young medical graduates shun hospital and turn to private practice instead.
- He left the government medical service in 1972 to found a much respected private practice.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pri|vate prac|tice
Definition of private practice in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.