- (In the UK) taxed funds provided by the Duchy of Lancaster to meet some official expenditure incurred by the monarch, plus his or her private expenses.More example sentences
- Breaking pledges given at the time of independence, the government abolished all royal titles and privileges in 1971 and stopped payment of special pensions, called privy purses.
- Sarah was made mistress of the robes, groom of the stole and keeper of the privy purse, which put her in control of the royal household.
- Although he feels the princes were betrayed by the government when the privy purses were abolished, he has a positive way of looking at it.
More definitions of privy purseDefinition of privy purse in:
- The US English dictionary