Favouring or supporting closer links with the European Union.
- Even mild-mannered pro-European David Curry - no doubt livid that a divisive European referendum would now be called - stuck the boot in.
- With respect to Europe, the Berlusconi government has essentially continued Italy's pro-European line.
- He said that the ‘modern long-term and deep-seated pro-European consensus in Britain about Britain's role in Europe and Europe's role in the world can and will be built’.
A pro-European person.
- Prominent pro-Europeans predicted privately that the government could win a crushing majority, comparable to the two-thirds who voted Yes in 1975.
- Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy called on all pro-Europeans to unite behind the campaign to secure a ‘yes’ vote in the referendum on the constitution.
- Like pro-Europeans in all parties, Robin Cook, the former foreign secretary, welcomed the statement, saying no one wished to be blamed for being ‘the obstacle that caused the crash’.
Definition of pro-European in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.