Definition of proctoscope in English:
A medical instrument with an integral lamp for examining the anus and lower part of the rectum or carrying out minor medical procedures.
- To check for leaks, the surgeon at the rectal site inserts a proctoscope into the anus.
- The doctor either uses a gloved finger or an instrument called a proctoscope to check for abnormalities such as growths on the rectal wall.
- One of the main investigations is a proctoscopy, where a small telescope known as a proctoscope is passed into the anal canal.
- Example sentences
- Before scrubbing, gowning, and gloving, the surgeon usually performs a rectal examination and proctoscopy to suction out any remaining stool in the distal rectum.
- There are no specific clinical signs on general examination, but inflammation of the rectal mucosa can readily be seen at proctoscopy.
- As children are more likely to have more extensive disease they will need further investigation involving full colonoscopy anyway, regardless of findings on proctoscopy.
Late 19th century: from Greek prōktos 'anus' + -scope.
Definition of proctoscope in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.