Definition of prodigious in English:
1Remarkably or impressively great in extent, size, or degree: the stove consumed a prodigious amount of fuel her memory was prodigious
More example sentences
- It was obviously a big blow, but we have a prodigious amount of young talent at this club and it will give somebody else a chance to come in and fill his shoes.
- His own prodigious creative talent was fuelled by the stuff of the everyday.
- This process, as can be seen by the previous Lexington example, burns a prodigious amount of fuel.
enormous, huge, colossal, immense, vast, great, massive, gigantic, mammoth, tremendous, considerable, substantial, large, sizeable, inordinate, monumental, mighty, gargantuan;
amazing, astonishing, astounding, staggering, stunning, marvellous, remarkable, wonderful, phenomenal, terrific, miraculous, impressive, striking, startling, sensational, spectacular, extraordinary, exceptional, breathtaking, incredible, unbelievable, unusual
informal humongous, stupendous, fantastic, fabulous, fantabulous, mind-boggling, mind-blowing, flabbergasting, mega, awesome
British informal ginormous
- [as submodifier]: a prodigiously gifted artistMore example sentences
- Apart from squandering the resources of a prodigiously gifted cast, the film's greatest shortcoming must be its inability to generate the merest scintilla of dramatic tension around its central narrative thread.
- How Roberts, a prodigiously gifted schoolboy, ended up pursuing a life of crime is a book in itself.
- What is even more remarkable to physicists is the fact that this prodigiously powerful computing device has developed through biological evolution, with all of its apparent uncertainties and redundancies.
- Example sentences
- In fact, youthful prodigiousness is the leading edge of a wider cultural preoccupation with early high performance in our meritocratic era.
- With a fabulous makeover that would make Rikki Lake jealous, Caswell leads the new toy Machine with prodigiousness, ATV-ability, and an unrufflable good nature.
- This prodigiousness may come as a surprise to those familiar with Prewitt's work.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan