A microscopic single-celled organism which has neither a distinct nucleus with a membrane nor other specialized organelles, including the bacteria and cyanobacteria. Compare with eukaryote.
- These proteins are expressed by all organisms ranging from prokaryotes to higher eukaryotes, including human cells.
- In a few organisms called prokaryotes, there is no defined nucleus and the DNA is found throughout the cell.
- The difference between eukaryotes and prokaryotes is that eukaryotes have a nucleus, while prokaryotes do not.
- Example sentences
- The structural integrity of recombinant products generated by prokaryotic and eukaryotic organisms is a major concern.
- This is a region of highest conservation, which consists of amino acids that are identical in both the prokaryotic and eukaryotic homologs.
- Several OYE homologues have been reported in prokaryotic and eukaryotic organisms.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pro|kary¦ote
Definition of prokaryote in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.