Definition of promiscuous in English:
- If the girl was deemed promiscuous, became pregnant, or could not keep a job, she could be returned to the reform school.
- The only reason he turned her down is because this rumor got started that Christy was the most promiscuous girl at our school.
- After many years of directing my own sexual education in Paris, I came to see myself as a ‘liberated woman,’ or what some perhaps would call a promiscuous adventurer.
- As the American houses have seduced corporate Britain, so companies have become more promiscuous in their search for intelligence.
- There's a difference between being promiscuous and making serious strategic bets that may be the cause for regrets.
early 17th century: from Latin promiscuus 'indiscriminate', (based on miscere 'to mix') + -ous. The early sense was 'consisting of elements mixed together', giving rise to 'indiscriminate' and 'undiscriminating', whence the notion of 'casual'.
miscellany from (late 16th century):
This goes back to the Latin miscellus mixed from miscere ‘mix’ ( see mash). This also lies behind promiscuous (early 17th century). Its early sense was ‘consisting of elements mixed together’, giving rise to ‘indiscriminate’, and ‘undiscriminating’, from which the notion of ‘casual’ arose.
- Example sentences
- In 1984, Marxist theorist Frederic Jameson lamented the eruption of a new style of painting that borrowed promiscuously from history and mythology was yet another symptom of a malaise rooted in the emergence of consumer capitalism.
- While trademarks may sometimes lose protection if they become used promiscuously, copyrighted works remain protected no matter how publicly they're distributed.
- We recognize that wise statesmen resist the temptation to use power promiscuously, and we stress the virtues of prudence, and self-restraint, in foreign policy.
- Example sentences
- This human promiscuousness is, of course, just what city-haters detest.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.