Definition of promulgate in English:
- These ideas are widely promulgated in the academic/scholastic/public sectors.
- She knows some people will think her a spoilsport for promulgating these ideas, especially in Australia where ‘an English garden’ with borders and lawns is still the gardening aspiration of many.
- The seminar also promulgates the idea of virtuous circles of economic growth, where migrants send money back home, creating more circles.
- First, in 1983, a revision of the Catholic Church's Code of Canon Law was officially promulgated.
- A long series of negotiations ensued, resulting in a new constitution promulgated into law in December 1993.
- Prior to the operation, the government promulgated a special ordinance to speed up legal proceedings.
mid 16th century (earlier ( late 15th century) as promulgation): from Latin promulgat- 'exposed to public view', from the verb promulgare, from pro- 'out, publicly' + mulgere 'cause to come forth' (literally 'to milk').
- Example sentences
- It is readily apparent from the materials considered thus far that the Community has power to advance policy through the promulgation of regulations, directives, and decisions.
- The cabinet has cleared the promulgation of an ordinance amending the Debt Recovery Tribunal Act to simplify the process of claims by banks and financial institutions.
- Civil society, human rights, civil liberty organisations, minority groups and opposition parties were not consulted before promulgation of the ordinance.
- Example sentences
- Whether or not you believe that public institutions should withdraw facilities from organisations, merely because they are promulgators of racism, the following three points are clear.
- What is this ‘rote defense of liberalism’ and who are its promulgators?
- Far from being a destroyer of the written word, the Internet, with Google as a leading vehicle, will prove to be its great support and egalitarian promulgator.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.