- The genetic material of a bacteriophage, incorporated into the genome of a bacterium and able to produce phages if specifically activated.More example sentences
- The incorporation of plasmids or prophages into the bacterial chromosomes is called transfection.
- Specialized transducing phages generated from the prophage by illegitimate recombination usually contain the E. coli genes gal or bio that are adjacent to the phage genome.
- This phenomenon is similar to suicidal defense against phage infection, or phage exclusion, programmed by prophages and plasmids, and may well play a similar role.
More definitions of prophageDefinition of prophage in:
- The US English dictionary