- 1Keep safe from harm or injury: he tried to protect Kelly from the attack [no object]: use a sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVBMore example sentences
- She must accept the inevitable and protect against the greater harm.
- A number of acute-phase reactants protect against tissue injury in response to heat stress.
- I promised to protect you, all those years ago at the orphanage, and that's what I am doing right now.
- 1.1 (often as adjective protected) Aim to preserve (a threatened species or area) by legislating against collecting, hunting, or development: the natterjack toad is a protected species logging is continuing in protected areas in violation of an international agreementMore example sentences
- Many of the actions required are already within the scope of existing conventions concerned with wildlife conservation, insofar as they list marine species or marine protected areas on their annexes.
- Sadly all these developments are taking place in areas that were previously protected from any tourist development projects.
- The decision opens the previously protected areas to development.
- 1.2 Economics Shield (a domestic industry) from competition by imposing import duties on foreign goods: Japan’s Ministry of Trade & Industry erected barriers to protect the country’s infant computer industryMore example sentences
- He said in this case it was the duty of the Government to set up safeguard measures to protect the domestic industry.
- The Republicans claimed that such interventions were necessary not only for financing government but also for protecting domestic industry and jobs.
- An attempt to protect domestic industry can do nothing to change this reality.
- 1.3 Computing Restrict access to or use of (data or a memory location): security products are designed to protect information from unauthorized accessMore example sentences
- It also protects information stored on memory cards.
- When you submit sensitive information via the Web site, your information is protected both online and off-line.
- Additionally, the company agreed not to misrepresent the extent to which it protects customer information from unauthorized access.
- More example sentences
- In addition to assisting clients in protecting their intellectual property, it provides clients with audits, which identify protectable intellectual property within their business.
- Even TV listings, once treated as protectable by the Irish courts, may no longer qualify for legal protection.
- To do so, she would have to convince the judge of three things: first, that she had a protectable trademark; second, that consumers might confuse the brands; and third, that the company would suffer irreparable harm as a result.
late Middle English: from Latin protect- 'covered in front', from the verb protegere, from pro- 'in front' + tegere 'to cover'.