Definition of proton in English:
A stable subatomic particle occurring in all atomic nuclei, with a positive electric charge equal in magnitude to that of an electron.
- Overall, atoms are neutral and the number of protons in their nuclei equals the number of electrons.
- The matter was composed primarily of an ionized gas of electrons, protons, and helium nuclei.
- An alpha particle consists of two protons and two neutrons; it is the nucleus of a helium atom.
- Example sentences
- The organic purity of the organoarsenic species was determined by protonic nuclear magnetic resonance.
- The rate of the former, productive reaction is determined by the protonic conductance of the consumer.
- It consists of an interdependence between the electronic and protonic captures, which results from electrostatic interactions between redox and protonatable groups.
1920s: from Greek, neuter of prōtos 'first'.
Words that rhyme with protonphoton
Definition of proton in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.