- The protoplasm of a living plant or bacterial cell whose cell wall has been removed.More example sentences
- In this plasmolysed cell the protoplast has suffered very intense shrinkage.
- Fibres are often described as cells having no living protoplasts at maturity.
- The hydrostatic pressure model proposes that statocytes detect the total weight exerted by the protoplast on its cell wall.
late 19th century: from Greek prōtoplastos 'first formed', from prōtos 'first' + plassein 'to mould'.
More definitions of protoplastDefinition of protoplast in:
- The US English dictionary