Definition of protractor in English:
1An instrument for measuring angles, typically in the form of a flat semicircle marked with degrees along the curved edge.
- Do you need a protractor to measure their angles?
- The angle of pinnation was found by placing a protractor along the central tendon and measuring the angle of an individual fiber to the nearest 0.5 degree.
- A protractor was used to measure the angle of this line to the transverse line and hence the angle to the apex of the nucellus.
2 (also protractor muscle) chiefly Zoology A muscle serving to extend a part of the body. Compare with retractor.
- They accomplish this coordination with proprioceptive feedback through the hypoglossal nerve that disinhibits activation of the jaw depressors when the tongue protractor muscle is activated.
- Two pairs of epibranchials are present in adults, one bony and one cartilaginous, compared to a single pair in most other families, and the protractor muscle encompasses both epibranchials.
- In the overhead thrower, the shoulder external rotator muscles, scapular retractor muscles, and protractor and depressor muscles are frequently isolated because of weakness.
Words that rhyme with protractorabstractor, actor, attractor, compactor, contractor, enactor, exactor, extractor, factor, infractor, redactor, refractor, tractor, transactor
Definition of protractor in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.