noun[mass noun] Medicine
Severe itching of the skin, as a symptom of various ailments.
More example sentences
- When the lesions are rubbed, they manifest erythema, edema, pruritus, and occasional bullae formation.
- Latex allergic reactions range from pruritus to erythematous, weeping lesions.
- Liver transplantation may be considered in response to liver failure, or if the patient has uncontrollable pruritus or severe osteoporosis.
- More example sentences
- Allergic forms usually present acutely with erythematous, pruritic, edematous and exudative lesions, while contact dermatitis often has a more insidious onset with lichenification.
- Urticaria is characterized by pruritic, edematous, well-circumscribed, erythematous plaques that are transient over several hours.
- On re-exposure, patients develop an acute, pruritic, eczematous dermatitis, often with blisters in a linear configuration at the site of contact.
Definition of pruritus in:
- The US English dictionary