Brain surgery, such as leucotomy, used to treat mental disorder.
- But I doubt that many people would be aware that psychosurgery, or brain surgery, is being done to treat mental illness or behavioural problems today.
- But you can regard cosmetic surgery as being almost psychosurgery in that many of the conditions we are treating, even in people that are well adjusted, are in fact a psychological perception of aging of physical deformity.
- In general, that's sort of a fuzzy borderline between psychosurgery and neurological surgery.
- Example sentences
- There was a lot of suspicion that the Department of Justice was going to perform massive psychosurgical procedures on violent prisoners as a means of social control.
- Postoperative verification of radiosurgical lesions in white matter has been difficult to obtain with CT. With magnetic resonance (MR) imaging, however, lesions could be demonstrated in patients undergoing a psychosurgical procedure, gamma capsulotomy, for anxiety disorder.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: psy¦cho|sur¦gery
Definition of psychosurgery in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.