Definition of psychotomimetic in English:
Relating to or denoting drugs which are capable of producing an effect on the mind similar to a psychotic state: such altered states of consciousness follow ingestion of LSD and other psychotomimetic drugs
More example sentences
- In animal models 5 - HT2 antagonists (ketanserin and spiperone) were shown to block the psychotomimetic effects of both LSD and DOM.
- LSD was a synthetic drug, based on a naturally produced substance, which is called psychotomimetic drugs, made out of this rust.
- There is no clinically tested antidote available to antagonize the psychotomimetic symptomatology induced by PCP.
nounBack to top
A psychotomimetic drug.
- LSD - 25, used as a psychotomimetic, allows us to study these problems of communication from the inside and learn how to devise better methods of helping the sick.
- High potency as an antagonist of 5-HT in isolated smooth muscle preparations was not correlated with high potency as a psychotomimetic.
- The hypothesis that psychotomimetics induce a rapid dopamine receptor regulation that could participate in the expression of the brain dopaminergic overactivation and in the early signs of psychotic-like behaviour, was checked by radioligand binding on rat brain cryosections.
Definition of psychotomimetic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan