Definition of psychotomimetic in English:
Relating to or denoting drugs which are capable of producing an effect on the mind similar to a psychotic state: such altered states of consciousness follow ingestion of LSD and other psychotomimetic drugs
More example sentences
- In animal models 5 - HT2 antagonists (ketanserin and spiperone) were shown to block the psychotomimetic effects of both LSD and DOM.
- LSD was a synthetic drug, based on a naturally produced substance, which is called psychotomimetic drugs, made out of this rust.
- There is no clinically tested antidote available to antagonize the psychotomimetic symptomatology induced by PCP.
nounBack to top
A psychotomimetic drug.
- LSD - 25, used as a psychotomimetic, allows us to study these problems of communication from the inside and learn how to devise better methods of helping the sick.
- High potency as an antagonist of 5-HT in isolated smooth muscle preparations was not correlated with high potency as a psychotomimetic.
- The hypothesis that psychotomimetics induce a rapid dopamine receptor regulation that could participate in the expression of the brain dopaminergic overactivation and in the early signs of psychotic-like behaviour, was checked by radioligand binding on rat brain cryosections.
Definition of psychotomimetic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.