Definition of pterodactyl in English:
1A pterosaur of the late Jurassic period, with a long slender head and neck and a very short tail.
- Other anatomical features, such as attachment points for powerful neck muscles, support the idea that giant pterodactyls once plowed the waters for food.
- Earlier, Witmer and others had performed a similar study on fossils of the flying reptiles called pterodactyls, which are not related to Archaeopteryx.
1.1(In general use) any pterosaur.
- I decided on a pterodactyl, a dinosaur with a distinct advantage over most dinosaurs: the ability to fly like an eagle.
- Based on widely accepted criteria, pterodactyls and other pterosaurs are not dinosaurs.
- Birds, close cousins of pterodactyls, are believed to have evolved from theropod dinosaurs about 150 million years ago.
Definition of pterodactyl in:
- US English dictionary