- A sea butterfly.More example sentences
- These all feed on pteropods, or sea butterflies, one of the species most threatened by rising acidity.
- The pteropod, Cfione limacina (Order: Gymnosomata) differs from the nudibranchs and notaspids discussed so far in that it swims continuously using paired parapodial appendages that resemble wings.
- In addition to its operation in some insects, it has been suggested that the flapping mechanism in the pteropod, Clione limacina, uses a clap-and-fling mechanism.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Pteropoda (plural), from Greek pteron 'wing' + pous, pod- 'foot'.
More definitions of pteropodDefinition of pteropod in:
- The US English dictionary