Definition of pucker in English:
- The cherry lips puckered and the brows drew together as she struggled to remember, and I smiled slightly.
- Use of thicker sheets in fully adhered membranes helps resist puckering and wrinkling.
- Livi's neighbor's brow puckered thoughtfully as she read the instructor's criticisms.
nounBack to top
- The eye asks if the green, frilled geranium puckers, clustered at angles on each stem, are similar enough to stop time.
- Her fingers are as light as the puckers in her silks.
- There you have it - a perfect pucker for any kiss.
- Example sentences
- Instead of being nicely tucked away inside my navel, it's now hovering just above, all hyperpigmented and puckery looking.
- Until the candidates started putting their lips to good, puckery use, I'd mistakenly thought that this year's presidential contest was about two guys with lots of ideas, but no ability to respectively construct single, unifying themes.
- The skin where the stitches are is red and puckery.
pocket from Middle English:
The first sense recorded for pocket was a ‘bag, sack’. It comes from Anglo-Norman French poket(e), a little poke or pouch ( see pig). This also lies behind poach. Poaching eggs and poaching game may seem vastly different activities, but they are both probably connected with the Old French word pochier or French pocher, ‘to enclose in a bag’. When you poach an egg you can think of the white of the egg as forming a pocket or bag for the yolk to cook in. The second poach first meant ‘to push together in a heap’, and acquired the ‘steal game’ sense in the early 17th century. The connection with the source word comes from the pocket or bag into which a poacher would stuff his ill-gotten gains. Pucker (late 16th century) is probably from the same source, with the little gatherings being seen as small pockets.
Words that rhyme with puckerchukka (US chukker), ducker, felucca, mucker, plucker, pukka, shucker, succour (US succor), sucker, trucker, tucker, yucca
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.