- 1A large rounded orange-yellow fruit with a thick rind, the flesh of which can be used in sweet or savoury dishes.More example sentences
- Sweet potatoes, beans, pumpkins, and tropical fruits such as bananas and papayas are also grown.
- The average small farmer in Chiapas, Mexico, for example, produces maize, squash, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, numerous vegetables, fruits and medicinal plants.
- While there isn't any cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie to be had, there is plenty of brandy, gin, and wine on hand.
- 2The plant of the gourd family which produces pumpkins, having tendrils and large lobed leaves and native to warm regions of America.
More example sentences
- Genus Cucurbita, family Cucurbitaceae: several species, in particular C. pepo
- Sometimes pumpkins or gourds are planted instead of squash.
- Both sides of this versatile trellis are used, and it can be made sturdy enough to support heavy crops such as gourds and pumpkins.
- When the Irish immigrants arrived in America, they found pumpkins abundant and much easier to carve than turnips.
late 17th century: alteration of earlier pumpion, from obsolete French pompon, via Latin from Greek pepōn 'large melon' (see pepo).
More definitions of pumpkinDefinition of pumpkin in:
- The US English dictionary