Definition of punctuation in English:
1The marks, such as full stop, comma, and brackets, used in writing to separate sentences and their elements and to clarify meaning: you will notice that no punctuation is used satisfactory standards of handwriting, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
More example sentences
- I've never liked putting closing punctuation inside quotation marks.
- However, the reverse is not true: if a spoken text is written down, the position of many tone-group boundaries cannot be marked by punctuation.
- The comma thing does make me aware how much I use punctuation in general and commas specifically for intonation in my writing.
- Example sentences
- How private worry about hyphens or apostrophes will so often turn a person into a punctuational avenging marauder, a ruthless grammatical Genghis Khan.
- Please do not print this letter in your magazine. I do not wish for my, how you say, inelegant grammar, odd punctuational choices, and inadequate vocabulary to be snickered at by your discerning readership.
- If lineages can be found, that is evidence for gradualistic evolution; if lineages cannot be found, then that is evidence for punctuational evolution. ‘Heads we win; tails you lose’!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan