Definition of pupa in English:
noun (plural pupae /-piː/)
An insect in its inactive immature form between larva and adult, e.g. a chrysalis.
- These snakes feed on smaller prey - the larvae, pupae, and adults of ants and termites - and they do so remarkably fast.
- In most species for which detailed dietary information is available, ant larvae and pupae represent the most important food resource.
- The house fly has complete metamorphosis: egg, larvae, pupae and adult.
- Example sentences
- Prior to pupal emergence, brood combs were placed in an incubator and newly emerged workers were paint-marked on the thorax.
- Emerged adult Axarus and shed pupal exuviae were removed from the trap daily.
- The type of pupation site selected by larvae also affects pupal survival of D. melanogaster.