- The institution of marriage they are purporting to protect is an abstraction.
- In doing this, the government is conceding victory to the very people whom it purports to be fighting.
- Clearly she has achieved the good life, but what about the people she purports to represent?
- Notably, these documents purport to describe only lawful campaign activities, and committee Democrats acknowledge they find no fault with those activities.
- More than three dozen of these notes purport to document various fictional characters Morris scatters through his text.
- Ordinarily, it is not sufficient to give the tenor, substance or purport of the libel or slander, or an approximation of the words, or words to a certain ‘effect’, or any other words of a similar import.
- Under the Guarantee Boot agreed to answer for Construction's performance and observance of the Main Contract ‘according to the true purport intent and meaning thereof’.
- He contended that the delay was remedied before any harm or prejudice was caused, and moreover, the defendant Vendors did not object or purport to rescind the agreement until after the breach had been remedied.
- Although many use the mobile clinic as a medical home, it does not purport to have that designation.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'express, signify'): from Old French purporter, from medieval Latin proportare, from Latin pro- 'forth' + portare 'carry, bear'. The sense 'appear to be' dates from the late 18th century.
Words that rhyme with purportabort, apport, assort, athwart, aught, besought, bethought, bort, bought, brought, caught, cavort, comport, consort, contort, Cort, court, distraught, escort, exhort, export, extort, fort, fought, fraught, import, methought, misreport, mort, naught, nought, Oort, ought, outfought, port, Porte, quart, rort, short, snort, sort, sought, sport, support, swart, taught, taut, thought, thwart, tort, transport, wart, wrought
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pur|port
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.