Definition of purpura in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
1A rash of purple spots on the skin caused by internal bleeding from small blood vessels.
- Inhibition of platelet adhesion and aggregation, prolonged bleeding time, purpura, postoperative wound hemorrhage
- Many of these patients had edema, purpura, or ecchymosis.
- Adverse effects of warfarin include haemorrhage, hypersensitivity and skin rashes, alopecia, and purpura.
1.1 [with modifier] Any of a number of diseases characterized by such a rash: psychogenic purpura
More example sentences
- She was diagnosed with a thrombotic thrombocytopenia purpura like syndrome and was treated with daily plasma exchange and steroids.
- Prone positioning did not worsen pre-existing skin injury (graft-vs-host disease and purpura fulminans).
- In 1988, she presented with idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura and anemia.
- Example sentences
- Gigantean (larger and fewer lesions), pustular, purpuric, or vesicular pityriasis rosea occurs in rare cases.
- These lesions included papular, urticarial, purpuric, pustular, and eczematoid changes, such as papular urticaria.
- Children with disseminated intravascular coagulopathy are generally quite ill and may present with extensive purpuric lesions and petechiae, as well as multifocal hemorrhage.
Definition of purpura in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan