- A violent attempt to overthrow a government; a coup.More example sentences
- In Caracas, the elected president is a Castroite who earlier attempted a beer-hall putsch and is busily immiserating his middle class.
- Whether this would be achieved by popular uprising or a putsch by a few well placed individuals with Western backing has yet to be seen.
- Not a few thought that the Herut might mount a putsch.
- More example sentences
- This deprived the putschists of a constitutional fig-leaf to cover their seizure of power.
- Before Owen there were millennarians and utopians, prophets and putschists.
- The putschists wasted no time in sending aerial-amphibian troops to Estonia to reinforce the Soviet army forces garrisoned there.
1920s: from Swiss German, literally 'thrust, blow'.
More definitions of putschDefinition of putsch in:
- The US English dictionary