Blood poisoning (septicaemia) caused by the spread in the bloodstream of pus-forming bacteria released from an abscess.
More example sentences
- Nothing seemed to halt pyemia, and it had a mortality rate of over 90%.
- There may be rapid and irritable pulse, dry brown tongue, dry skin, constipation, anorexia, and if pyemia develops there will be pain in the joints.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek puon 'pus' + haima 'blood'.
- More example sentences
- Pyaemic complications occurred in seven patients.
- This imaging study also excluded biliary obstruction, pyaemic liver abscess, and tumour as causes of his jaundice.
Definition of pyaemia in:
- The US English dictionary