Definition of pyrimidine in English:
noun[mass noun] Chemistry
1A colourless crystalline compound with basic properties.
- Second, there is no branch in the pyrimidine synthesis pathway.
- The URA3 gene is essential for yeast pyrimidine biosynthesis.
- Our analyses also suggest that the utilization of products of de novo pyrimidine biosynthesis may differ between different cell types.
1.1 (also pyrimidine base) [count noun] A substituted derivative of pyrimidine, especially the bases thymine and cytosine present in DNA.
- Both of these products involve dimerization of adjacent pyrimidines on the same DNA strand.
- Purines and pyrimidines are considered as complex molecules themselves because they are never synthesized as such in vivo.
- Some introns also have a sequence rich in pyrimidines that adds up to 10 additional bases at the 3’ end.
Definition of pyrimidine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan