- A black or dark grey mineral with a metallic lustre, consisting of manganese dioxide.More example sentences
- Scheele produced chlorine by treating the mineral pyrolusite with hydrochloric acid (HCl).
- The ore, a mixture of ‘psilomelane’ and pyrolusite with much manganiferous limonite, contains masses of cerussite.
- It never occurs as a free element, but only in ores such as pyrolusite, manganite, psilomelane, and rhodochrosite.
early 19th century: from pyro- 'fire, heat' + Greek lousis 'washing' (because of the mineral's use in decolorizing glass).
More definitions of pyrolusiteDefinition of pyrolusite in:
- The US English dictionary