1Liable to ignite spontaneously on exposure to air: several boranes are pyrophoric and toxic
More example sentences
- It is pyrophoric, burning spontaneously on impact, and extremely dense.
- We have a lot of pyrophoric substances in an organic chemistry lab - things that burst into flame when they encounter normal air.
- In addition to the radioactivity, DU is chemically toxic, pyrophoric and usually spreads aerolisized particles over a large area on impact.
1.1(Of an alloy) emitting sparks when scratched or struck.
- One of the oldest uses for praseodymium is in the manufacture of misch metal, a pyrophoric metal.
- The Army and other pyrophoric uranium munitions NRC licensees should admit the quantity of UO3 vapor produced by such weapons.
- Aside from being very dense and pyrophoric, depleted uranium shells also have a nasty tendency to vaporise.
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin pyrophorus, from Greek purophoros 'fire-bearing', from pur 'fire' + pherein 'to bear'.
Words that rhyme with pyrophoricaleatoric, allegoric, anaphoric, camphoric, categoric, choric, Doric, euphoric, historic, metaphoric, meteoric, phantasmagoric, phosphoric, semaphoric, sophomoric, theophoric, Warwick, Yorick
Definition of pyrophoric in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.