- 1Liable to ignite spontaneously on exposure to air: several boranes are pyrophoric and toxicMore example sentences
- It is pyrophoric, burning spontaneously on impact, and extremely dense.
- We have a lot of pyrophoric substances in an organic chemistry lab - things that burst into flame when they encounter normal air.
- In addition to the radioactivity, DU is chemically toxic, pyrophoric and usually spreads aerolisized particles over a large area on impact.
- 1.1(Of an alloy) emitting sparks when scratched or struck.More example sentences
- One of the oldest uses for praseodymium is in the manufacture of misch metal, a pyrophoric metal.
- The Army and other pyrophoric uranium munitions NRC licensees should admit the quantity of UO3 vapor produced by such weapons.
- Aside from being very dense and pyrophoric, depleted uranium shells also have a nasty tendency to vaporise.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin pyrophorus, from Greek purophoros 'fire-bearing', from pur 'fire' + pherein 'to bear'.
More definitions of pyrophoricDefinition of pyrophoric in:
- The US English dictionary