1 Mathematics The process of constructing a square with an area equal to that of a circle, or of another figure bounded by a curve.
- Craig published several more papers on the logarithmic curve, the curve of quickest descent and quadrature of figures.
- He generalised Gauss's method of quadrature and expressed the polynomials which are involved as a determinant.
- This book is a treatise on infinite series, summation, interpolation and quadrature.
2 Astronomy The position of the moon or a planet when it is 90° from the sun as viewed from the earth.
- When the Sun-Moon system is in quadrature relative to the Earth, the combined gravitational forces are not as strong.
- The planet is at east quadrature (ninety degrees east of the Sun) on the 26th.
3 Electronics A phase difference of 90 degrees between two waves of the same frequency, as in the colour difference signals of a television screen.
- The MT312 is a single-chip variable rate digital quadrature phase shift keying satellite demodulator.
- The L5 signal that will appear with the Block IIF satellites in 2006, will have quadrature phase skip keying.
- The quadrupolar echo pulse sequence was employed using quadrature detection with complete phase cycling of the pulse pairs.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: quad¦ra|ture
Definition of quadrature in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.