noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- Identification of the constituents, e.g. elements or functional groups, present in a substance.More example sentences
- One of the primary methods of qualitative analysis involves precipitation reactions.
- A qualitative analysis identifies the components of a substance or mixture; quantitative analysis measures the amounts or proportions of the components in a reaction or substance.
- In the chemical industry, coordination compounds are used in qualitative analysis to separate metal ions, and to identify unknown ions in solution.
More definitions of qualitative analysisDefinition of qualitative analysis in:
- The US English dictionary