noun (plural quangos)British , chiefly • derogatory
- A semi-public administrative body outside the civil service but receiving financial support from the government, which makes senior appointments to it.More example sentences
- However, government ministers, the devolved assemblies, local authorities, quangos and all public bodies will be subject to the Convention.
- Appointments to non-departmental bodies like quangos are subject to the scrutiny of the Public Appointments Commission.
- The process has been taking place for some time with the growth of bureaucracy in national and local governments, plus quangos and large areas of administration like the European Union.
1970s (originally US): acronym from quasi (or quasi-autonomous) non-government(al) organization.
More definitions of quangoDefinition of quango in:
- The US English dictionary