Definition of quantize in English:
1 Physics Form into quanta, in particular restrict the number of possible values of (a quantity) or states of (a system) so that certain variables can assume only certain discrete magnitudes: light is quantized into packets of energy
More example sentences
- In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is quantized.
- The hydrogen atom was stable because the possible energy states of the electron in the atom are quantized by the rule
- Loop quantum gravity is a way to quantise space time while keeping what General Relativity taught us.
2 Electronics Approximate (a continuously varying signal) by one whose amplitude is restricted to a prescribed set of values: distortion is caused when very low-level audio signals are quantized
More example sentences
- Truncating the embedded bitstream associated with any given code-block has the effect of quantizing the samples in that block more coarsely.
- To ensure noise measurements on digital carriers (PCM systems) are valid, a holding tone must be transmitted to operate the compander and quantizing circuitry in its normal operating range.
- The coefficients of these block approximations are then quantized and stored in the output file.
- Example sentences
- Under a process known as vector quantisation, tiny blocks of images are placed in the videophone as code and then assembled together by the software.
- The digital image is split into three colors (red, green, and blue [RGB]) with 8-bit quantization.
- They were disappointed that invoking space quantization failed to elucidate the vexing problem of the ‘anomalous’ Zeeman effect, the complex splitting patterns of spectral lines in a magnetic field.
- sense 2.Example sentences
- Additional comparator circuitry, quantizers, and encoding circuitry can be part of the same integrated circuit as the array.
- Through the development of special power-saving quantizers based on this new AD converter, talk times for cell phones can now be extended.
- A Josephson quantizer is driven by a sinusoidal microwave generator whose output is combined with a digital two-level code representing a desired waveform.
Definition of quantize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.