Definition of quantum jump in English:
1 Physics An abrupt transition of an electron, atom, or molecule from one quantum state to another, with the absorption or emission of a quantum.
- For example, Bohr's atomic theory includes terms like quantum numbers, quantum jump, steady state, and explains spectra described with the help of wavelength.
- Since Christian faith affirms the rationality of the Creator, I think that Aquinas would have rejected the unintelligibility of Copenhagen's interpretation of the electron's quantum jump.
- A more illustrative example of the origin of that common usage from the history of physics might be the use of the concept of a quantum jump in the Bohr model of the atom.
2 another term for quantum leap.
- But the results were startling enough, suggesting the potential for a quantum jump in the accuracy and effect of American fire power.
- After Landsat III and IV came a new generation satellite called the Landsat thematic mapper with improved ground resolution of around 30 m and this was a quantum jump from the earlier one.
- In just a few years from now, a single device that can easily be carried around in a pocket or a handbag, is likely to provide a quantum jump when it comes to communication and information retrieval.
Definition of quantum jump in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.