- Any of a number of subatomic particles carrying a fractional electric charge, postulated as building blocks of the hadrons. Quarks have not been directly observed but theoretical predictions based on their existence have been confirmed experimentally.More example sentences
- Research into the atom's nucleus has uncovered a variety of subatomic particles, including quarks and gluons.
- This process results in two jets of hadronic particles as the quarks form hadrons.
- The scalar superpartners of quarks and electrons are called squarks and selectrons.
1960s: a word invented by Murray Gell-Man (see Gell-Mann, Murray). Originally quork, the term was changed by association with the line ‘Three quarks for Muster Mark’ in Joyce's Finnegans Wake (1939).
- A type of low-fat curd cheese.More example sentences
- Plain or flavored yogurt, quark, cottage cheese, beaten mascarpone or ricotta could be substituted for the fromage blanc.
- I've never tried quark skimmed milk soft cheese before; won't be trying it again in a hurry.
- In the morning, I eat oatmeal with egg whites and low-fat quark [a soft creamy cheese popular in Europe].
1930s: from German Quark 'curd, curds'.