- The milk is available in gallons, half gallons, quarts and pints.
- The Paint Spot caters to both the professional and the hobbyist, selling paint in pints, quarts and gallons for you mural-painters.
- In the main filling room, gallons, half gallons, pints, quarts and half-pints are filled.
- I used four quarts of purée, but there were still more than four gallons of pumpkin to go!
- I myself have a small vegetable garden and do my canning without assistance, three or four quarts at a time.
- When I sell 50 quarts of pork fried rice at lunch, I have to put the cooked rice in a container close to the wok so that I can easily access it and cook it again to customer order.
- That is, how to lunge, parry quarte, feint, etc.
- The name of the parry is determined by the position where it finishes, e.g. the fencer starts on guard in the position of sixte, and when attacked parries by moving the blade laterally across the body to the parry of quarte.
- Giganti had seven guards, but only really employed two, corresponding to the modern quarte and tierce.
- A sequence of three cards is called a "tierce"; of four, a "quart"; of five, a "quint"; of six, a "sixieme"; of seven, a "septieme"; of eight, a "huitieme."
- As between sequences containing the same number of cards, the one headed by the highest card is good; thus, a quart to a queen is good against a quart to a knave.
- If each player has a quart, but one quart is higher than the other, the player with the higher quart scores 50 points.
you can't get a quart into a pint pot
- British proverb You cannot achieve the impossible.Example sentences
- Councillor Chris Townsley said: ‘The current store is an old one and needs to be brought up to modern standards, but you can't get a quart into a pint pot.’
- Mr Tipple said: ‘It's a quart in a pint pot and it won't fit.
- Trying to fit a quart into a pint pot really is very difficult.
Quart as a unit of capacity measuring a quarter of a gallon is from Old French quarte, from Latin quarta (pars) ‘fourth (part)’, from quattuor ‘four’. The same base is shared by Middle English quarter and early 17th century quartet ‘set of four’.
Words that rhyme with quartabort, apport, assort, athwart, aught, besought, bethought, bort, bought, brought, caught, cavort, comport, consort, contort, Cort, court, distraught, escort, exhort, export, extort, fort, fought, fraught, import, methought, misreport, mort, naught, nought, Oort, ought, outfought, port, Porte, purport, rort, short, snort, sort, sought, sport, support, swart, taught, taut, thought, thwart, tort, transport, wart, wrought
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: quart
Definition of quart in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.