- An ornamental design of four lobes or leaves as used in architectural tracery, resembling a flower or clover leaf.More example sentences
- In addition, the top areas of the main windows are decorated with stone tracery describing trefoils, quatrefoils and Moorish arches.
- Both artists represented what has come to be called the small-pattern Holbein type, which has a field of offset alternating rows of strapwork octagons and quatrefoils that vary in number in carpets of different sizes.
- At the tops of the windows, the artist has fun with the trefoils and quatrefoils, turning one into a black flower with yellow petals and another into a hovering cartoonlike form ringed by orange dots.
late 15th century: from Anglo-Norman French, from Old French quatre 'four' + foil 'leaf'.
More definitions of quatrefoilDefinition of quatrefoil in:
- The US English dictionary