1The single reproductive female in a hive or colony of honeybees.
- To scientists, that's as bizarre a finding as a queen bee spawning a colony of ants.
- Our scientists surmised that the bulk of any emotional consideration was left to the queens, who ruled the Zylon like a queen bee does her hive.
- Produced by glands in worker bees' heads, royal jelly is fed to larvae and the adult queen bee.
1.1 informal A woman who has a dominant or controlling position in a particular group or sphere: Sarah was the queen bee of the Society circuit
More example sentences
- Washington DC is a matriarchal society and I am the queen bee.
- She is the fashion correspondent for the International Herald Tribune and by the lights of the arcane pecking order of this bizarre business is accepted as the queen bee.
- The role of Eva Phillips, the queen bee who achieves her selfish aims by stinging any rivals around her that might challenge her supremacy, seemed tailor-made for Crawford.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: queen bee
Definition of queen bee in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.