1At a fast speed; rapidly: Reg’s illness progressed frighteningly quickly
More example sentences
- Thanks to the sincere efforts of her family I quickly recovered my health.
- In contrast, the flexible protein structures in a bobtail squid's platelets can quickly change configuration.
- Using the flashlight, I'm able to find them pretty quickly.
fast, swiftly, rapidly, speedily, at high speed, with all speed, at (full) speed, at the speed of light, at full tilt, as fast as one's legs can carry one, at a gallop, briskly, at the double, post-haste, with all possible haste, like a whirlwind, like an arrow from a bow, at breakneck speed, expeditiously, madly, hotfoot, with dispatch
informal double quick, in double quick time, p.d.q. (pretty damn quick), nippily, like (greased) lightning, hell for leather, at warp speed, like mad, like crazy, like blazes, like the wind, like a bomb, like nobody's business, like a scalded cat, like the deuce, a mile a minute, like a bat out of hell, like a bullet out of a gun
British informal like the clappers, at a rate of knots, like billy-o
North American informal lickety-split
immediately, directly, at once, now, straight away, right away, instantly, forthwith, as soon as possible, shortly, without delay, without further/more ado, instantaneously, expeditiously, suddenly, abruptly;
soon, soon after, promptly, early;
North American momentarily
informal like a shot, a.s.a.p. (as soon as possible), pronto, before you can say Jack Robinson, before the ink is dry on the page, before you can say knife, straight off
archaic straight, instanter
briefly, fleetingly, briskly;
hastily, in haste, precipitately, hurriedly, in a hurry, cursorily, perfunctorily, superficially, desultorily
1.1With little or no delay; promptly: we moved quickly to deal with our auditor’s questions
More example sentences
- Anybody thinking of taking out serious illness insurance needs to act quickly.
- Key to future success will be the degree to which organizations respond quickly to change.
- Jake offers him a hundred francs, which Harvey quickly accepts.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: quick¦ly
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.