Definition of quietism in English:
1(In the Christian faith) devotional contemplation and abandonment of the will as a form of religious mysticism.
- The interaction between Buddhism and Taoism gave rise to the Ch'an school of contemplative quietism which developed into Japanese Zen.
- Critics of Keswick spirituality alleged that through its emphasis on the inner life, it taught a quietism that discouraged practical expressions of Christian living and a mysticism that was foreign to evangelical theology.
- However, the real meaning of Taoist wu-wei is not quietism at all, but rather, activity in harmony with the ever-changing, ever-unchanging Way of all life.
2Calm acceptance of things as they are without attempts to resist or change them: political quietism
More example sentences
- Those who believe that all affairs of state will shortly come to an end are, for obvious reasons, inclined to political quietism.
- Rather than challenging this quietism and posing a political alternative, the radical critique of the global theorists, in fact, reflects and reproduces this sense of incapacity.
- As a result, the next generation was to tend towards political quietism and, worst of all, a crass materialism.
quietist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- These four are political quietists and do not think that clergymen should enter politics directly.
- A quietist, he rejected involvement in politics and rejected Khomeini's theory of clerical rule.
- He is not an advocate of clerical activism, preferring the traditional quietist approach to politics.
- Example sentences
- Here situatedness determined ideas: moderate practice led to quietistic theory, while heightened class struggle produced theoretical radicalism.
- One suspects he would deplore any such retreat into quietistic bliss, and would instead admonish us with the title of another of his books: Think.
- Words regarding the necessity to change the souls of human beings to effect real change in the world should not be interpreted to mean that black religious leaders were adopting a quietistic approach to civil rights.
Definition of quietism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India