- A contagious and fatal viral disease of dogs and other mammals, transmissible through the saliva to humans and causing madness and convulsions. Also called hydrophobia.More example sentences
- Pasteur went on to discover vaccinations for chicken pox, cholera, diphtheria, anthrax and rabies.
- A range of diseases including rabies and Lyme disease are carried by animals, so you should avoid contact with them.
- There was no report on diphtheria, rabies, tetanus or whooping cough during the study period.
late 16th century: from Latin, from rabere 'rave'.
More definitions of rabiesDefinition of rabies in:
- The US English dictionary