1A greyish-brown American mammal which has a foxlike face with a black mask, a ringed tail, and the habit of washing its food in water.
- Genus Procyon, family Procyonidae (the raccoon family): two species, in particular the common raccoon (P. lotor), which often occurs in urban areas in North America. The raccoon family also includes the coati, kinkajou, cacomistle, and olingo
More example sentences
- From North America came squirrels and raccoons, bears and bison, eagles and an elk.
- That's when the animals are most active and it's fun to see the deer, raccoons, opossums, rabbits, and birds.
- Still other eutherians, such as raccoons and bears, are omnivores, eating both meat and plant material.
early 17th century: from Virginia Algonquian aroughcun.
Definition of raccoon in:
- The US English dictionary