Definition of radiolarian in English:
A single-celled aquatic animal which has a spherical amoeba-like body with a spiny skeleton of silica. Their skeletons can accumulate as a slimy deposit on the seabed.
- Like other radiolarians, Acantharea have an elaborate mineralized skeleton.
- Won regarded the hollow canal structure as one of the indicators of the close relationship of radiolarians and the Porifera.
- Therefore, in terms of geological age determined by radiolarians and the ammonoid, this brachiopod fauna should be assigned to the latest Changhsingian.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or formed from radiolarians: radiolarian ooze
More example sentences
- Calcareous oozes are common in the low and mid-latitudes while in other places, particularly the high latitudes, radiolarian oozes tend to dominate.
- Twenty-two samples for radiolarian research were collected from the grayish black, thin-bedded limestone and siliceous limestone of the Baoqing Member and the Mcishan Member.
- Well-preserved Late Cambrian radiolarian faunas were recovered from carbonate rocks of the Cow Head Group of the Great Northern Peninsula of the island of Newfoundland, Canada.
Definition of radiolarian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.