Definition of ramie in English:
1A vegetable fibre noted for its length and toughness.
- Potential sources being tested include soy, hemp, ramie, kenaf stems, pineapple and henequen leaves, and banana stems.
- Plant fibre used in carpet construction, including sisal, cotton, jute, coconut, pineapple, ramie, and hemp, have characteristics similar to cotton.
- While it is around 15% in jute, it is less than 5% in flax and ramie.
1.1Cloth woven from ramie.
- It dissolves fabrics made of cellulose fibers, such as cotton, linen, rayon, and ramie, offering a variety of decorative options.
- Climatex Lifecycle, made by Swiss company Rohner Textil, is fabric made of pesticide free wool and organically grown ramie (a natural linen-like fiber).
- Another collection is totally natural with natural fabrics like ramie, natural colours such as green and yellow, and a simple cut.
Mid 19th century: from Malay rami.
Words that rhyme with ramiechamois, clammy, gammy, Grammy, hammy, jammy, mammae, mammee, Miami, rammy, Sammy, shammy, whammy
Definition of ramie in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan