Definition of ranchera in English:
1A type of Mexican country music typically played with guitars and horns.
- Today, that station hasn't changed its format much, but ranchera is no longer the powerhouse.
- The drawing for the house was held at City Hall, gaily dressed with yellow balloons and reverberating with ranchera music.
- Arellano draws interesting parallels between Morrissey's music and Mexico's ranchera music tradition.
1.1 [count noun] A ranchera tune or song.
- Although usually connected with mariachi, rancheras are performed by all regional Mexican music ensembles.
- Los Lobos, since its inception, has defied categorization, with a repertoire of traditional rock, blues, Mexican rancheras and their own tunes, which bring together elements of all of the above.
- Her music is a reflection of her multicultural childhood in Mexico and her studies in anthropology in Minnesota, with its combination of Mexican folklore, boleros, borderland rancheras, opera, and American jazz and blues.
1980s: from Spanish cancion rancheró 'farmers' song'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia