- If you are on a low income you may be able to claim a rebate on your rent and council tax.
- Tax rebates for dividends and capital gains will help reduce the cost of equity for companies in the knowledge sector.
- The difficulty will be that such a tax would be seen as yet another attack on the middle class, who could also face cuts to their pension contribution tax rebates and higher university tuition fees.
- The industry over builds and offers incentives - discounts and rebates - thereby losing money on each car that never should have built in the first place.
- I guess they must have great ways to make the money back from the rebate of all goods their customers buy in Hong Kong.
- Best of all, when you buy a cell phone from us and transfer your number, you will still qualify for all of our great rebates and discounts.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Presumably the policy contains provision for rebating the premium, if the matter does not go to trial?
- This will be achieved by rebating Underwriters' contribution to costs.
- A North Dakota Senator has sponsored a bill that would tax profits when oil is above $40 a barrel and rebate the money to taxpayers.
Late Middle English (as a verb in the sense 'diminish (a sum or amount)'): from Anglo-Norman French rebatre 'beat back', also 'deduct'.
- Example sentences
- You gave us an example of a case where you would need it: distribution of a rebatable dividend which was less than the combined total of those profits.
- The following year, though shares are sold, for $107 million, and the gains are distributed by way of rebatable dividend.
- It was creating a dividend for itself, which would be assessable but rebatable, and it would have a loss because it was a trader in shares.
Words that rhyme with rebatejailbait • whitebait • probate
- After cutting the rebates the bar is then moved to the inner position of the sticking board where it is held by slotting the glazing rebate into the recess.
- The glass check plough cuts both rebates at once, from the back edge of the bar.
- Its windows have geometric tracery in the Decorated style, with rebates for hinged shutters.
verb (rebates, rebating, rebated)[with object] Back to top
- The proper long-term way is to drill out the hole, counter rebate to a larger hole and fit a turned disc - it will last forever.
- Initially, it was hoped 5.56 M - 16 parts would do the trick for the conversion, and rebated 5.56 case heads were tried.
- Stool in tubular steel with formed seat in ply laminate rebated onto frame, by Pengelly Design.
Late 17th century: alteration of rabbet.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.